Thursday, June 23, 2011

New job?

I decided to wait until school was out to look for a new job so that we could all feel more settled first.  I had heard from several people that the job market for Dental Hygienists was a little weak since there is a school right here in Boise that graduates a bunch of them every year.  A saturated market is not great, especially mixed with a slow economy.  The job I left had been getting slower and the dentist cut back on hours there, so the chances of finding a job looked a little bleak.  I took resumes around to dentists close to my home.  The first time I went out, I had the same reply over and over, "Well, we'll let you know if something opens up or if we need fill in, but we are not hiring right now."  Then I stopped in at Dr. Cantwell's office.  The receptionist that I spoke to seemed glad I stopped by.  She asked me to wait a minute because they were in need of fill in work when their current hygienist gets married this July.  So I waited for a while and met the hygienist and the dentist.  We had a quick interview where Dr. Cantwell told me he hoped to be expanding the hygiene hours sometime in the future. That gave me a little hope that maybe at the very least, I could fill in soon, possibly work for him later, but who knows how long that would take?  I had a working interview to see if we do well together.  It went well and Dr. Cantwell has asked me to fill in for the 2 1/2 weeks while his hygienist is on her honeymoon.  I liked this dentist and the office was beautiful.  They are very high tech, friendly people.

Here is a plug for that office:  http://atlantisdental.com

I decided to go out another time to deliver resumes.  This time, I had a lot more hope. The very same day, I got a call from Dr. Bergloff's office.  He was losing a hygienist and needed to replace her in July.  We scheduled an interview the next day.  I thought the interview went well, but they planned on interviewing several others. It seemed like the office was fun and I could be happy working there, but it was not a high tech office.  I realize that I need to learn the new way of doing things, ie: paperless charting (computerized), digital x-rays, etc.   I came out of the interview, turned on my phone, and I had a message from Dr. Jeff Davis, who had received my resume the day before.   We scheduled an interview and then from there, two working interview days.  He was expanding hygiene and his current hygienist was on maternity leave.  When she comes back to work, she will not work full time, so he needs to hire someone to cover those days.  I have since worked for him 3 full days and will be filling in all next week.  I am still not sure if I will be hired.  I asked in our interview how many others he was interviewing and he said it was just me.  So basically, if he doesn't hire me, I will know it is because of something wrong with me.  That leaves me feeling very insecure right now.  I feel like I need to know so if he doesn't want me, I can move on and keep looking elsewhere.  For now, the fill in hours are helpful.  This office is also very high tech and beautiful.  I especially love the way that Dr. Davis greets his patients and builds a relationship with them before he even lays the chair back.  He is very personable and just a nice guy.  I love the front office coordinator, Kelly.  She is just the sweetest person and so cute.  She is great at her job and she makes everyone feel welcome.  The assistants, JoAnna, Laurie, and Vanessa are all beautiful women and good at their jobs.  They are fun, nice people who help me and seem genuinely happy to be there. What's not to like about working in a place like that?  I want that job!

Here is a plug for that office too: http://www.alpineheightsdentistry.net

The main reason I want to work is for the extra money.  The secondary reason is that it brings me personal joy to do something I am good at.  It builds my self esteem and lets me get out of the house for a few hours a week.  I love dental hygiene and I continue to be thankful that I have the education and skills necessary to be successful at this.  For anyone that wants to be a mother and have a job, I ardently recommend Dental Hygiene!

1 comment:

  1. That is exciting!!! I am totally with you on encouraging those who want to be moms and still work to be a dental hygienist or a nurse. Great money and flex hours! I love what my education and training is in, but if I go back to work, I am stuck in an office for 40-60 hours a week. If I could go back, I would def rethink things. GOOD LUCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete