Friday, September 9, 2011

Boise Top 10

It has been almost a year since Dave started his new job at Micron.  I have learned that there are some great things about living in Boise in the time we have been here.

1.  Hobby Lobby.  If you have ever been there, you'll know what I mean.  It is a FUN store.


2.  Boise Greenbelt.  It is a pathway along the Boise River that links together parks and scenic areas.  The funny thing about it is that it is sort of in the middle of town but when you are on it, you feel like you are out in nature.  We ride our bikes and walk on it often.  Dave and I love going on our Friday dates to the Greenbelt.  Dave rides on part of the Greenbelt to get to work.  He rides about 17 miles to Micron on his road bike several times per week..



3.  Good Radio Stations.  There are tons of radio stations.  I like all kinds of music, but my favorite is 90's stuff.  I guess that's because I was in high school and college in the 90's and I cared about music more then.  My favorite station was constantly playing Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Soundgarden.  Unfortunately, I tuned in one day to hear Michael Jackson's "Thriller" repeated over and over again.  Not sure why, I tuned in again another day only to hear the programming had changed to talk radio.  Boo!  There are still other good stations, but I loved the one that is no longer.

Can you see the tears?
4.  A Variety of Restaurants.  I wish we could go out more often, but we have taken the opportunity to try out several new places.  One recent dining experience was at "The Flying Pie Pizzeria" which was showcased on "Man vs. Food."  They have a habanero pizza, which has the heat equivalent to 5 pounds of jalapenos.  Dave tried it out. He said it had a good flavor and it was HOT.  I had something else.


 
 5.  It's hot here.  That is a good thing in that the growing season starts earlier.  It is a good thing also because that means we want to go swimming!  Our family went to the neighborhood pool often.  When it first opened up, we went almost every evening.  Then we got really busy and went a few times per week.  It is a small 6 foot deep pool, but it is right here so we can come and go as we please.

6.  Events.  Our kids got to ride bikes with Kristin Armstrong, US Olympic Gold Medalist.  She was great with the kids.  They got her autograph and had a chance to talk to her.  The event took place in downtown Boise with the streets blocked off.  It was also a free event. (Bonus.)  The kids divided up into age groups and rode their bikes along the Twilight Criterium race course.  After the kids event was over, we stayed and watched the real race.  It was a fun event and what is great about Boise, is that these kinds of things are happening all the time.

7.  Close Proximity to fresh produce.  Those who know me well know that Fall is my favorite time of year because it means it is harvest time. It also means it is canning season.  Our family used to drive about 2 hours to Brigham City, Utah to buy peaches, pears, tomatoes, and other such produce so I could can/freeze/dehydrate.  Now we can drive all of 30 minutes to Caldwell and buy fresh produce from the farms close by.  So far, I've canned green beans, peaches and pears.  I still need to do tomatoes and apples.



8.  There is a larger airport here.  Jalyn came to see us from Mississippi.  We missed her so much. Now with a larger airport, it is cheaper to fly.   Mississippi is just too far away.  At least we are still just a flight away.  Anyone else want to come see us?






9.  Our driving time to Coeurd'Alene has been cut by a whole half hour!  When you are driving with 4 children for around 8 hours, every minute counts.  Trust me.  We had a great time on our last trip "home" to see Grandma and Grandpa.  We went 4-wheeling, boating, swimming, huckleberry picking, and visiting family that we miss so much.


10.  We are together.  After having lived separately while we were in transition, I can't express how much it means to be together with your family.  Life just isn't the same without the Dad and the Mom and all of the kids.  Plus the dog.  I'm so thankful for my awesome family.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog Valerie. I checked facebook and so you had one so I hopped on over....we have one but because of Jim's job it has to be private..I will let you see it if you want :) Just e-mail me your e-mail address.

    Anyway...what great things and I LOVE BOISE!!!! That is awesome that you got to meet Kristin Armstrong and amazing mom and woman. That pizza sounds crazy and I would be with you..no thank you!!

    You have a BEAUTIFUL family!!!

    ReplyDelete