Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thanksgiving in Coeurd'Alene

 David murdered Bambi.  It's the first animal he has ever hunted.  He and Dad went out looking for a buck to hunt for several days and were unsuccessful in finding one.  The day before Thanksgiving, Dave saw this small deer thinking it was a doe.  He decided to just go for that.  When he came up to it after it was deceased, he noticed that it was in fact a young buck.  I grew up on wild meat so this is normal for me, but I still had a hard time.  I will admit that I cried when I saw it hanging there in the cabin.  We are not starving and we took the life of this beautiful animal to eat.  I know there is nothing wrong with it, but it is just easier to swallow when you don't see what it used to look like before you eat it.  That applies to cows, chickens, and pigs too. I guess I can understand where vegetarians come from.  On the other hand, meat is tasty and the Lord put animals on the Earth for our benefit, including as a source of food.

We got to see our family for a week.  This is my handsome brother, Dr. John.  Isn't he great?  I've missed him.

 We wish Josh and Carri could have come with Abby and Maddie.  My kids had so much fun with their cousins that they don't see very often.
We were surprised by the great news that John and Karina are expecting baby #2 in June.  Karina told us when it was her turn to say what she was thankful for.  I'm so excited for them. It was great to see Melanie and JT too.  Mel is always so much fun and silly.  That's what I love about being with her.  She understands me when I am silly too.


Jalyn and Bryce were able to come all the way from Mississippi.  There was constantly at least one kid hovering around them.  My kids adore Jalyn and Bryce.  It was wonderful to see them again too. 


 Becca loves her Uncle Bryce.


 Isn't Karina just beautiful?  She is so good and kind too.  John really married well.  He is so lucky to have her.

And on that note, I am lucky to have my man too.  He is one of the many reasons I have to be thankful.  He is handsome, smart, a good provider, and a man of God.  I love him.






 We made a "thankful tree" again this year.  Each day we wrote something we were thankful for and glued it on the tree.  It ranges from cheddar cheese to friends to temples.  We have so much to be thankful for.

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT Thanksgiving. I can certainly tell you and your brother are related!!

    I also grew up on wild game meat and on beef since we raised them and like you I LOVED meat but I am okay not knowing EXACTLY where it came from. I have shot one deer in my life and I felt so bad I never did it again :)

    I also LOVE your Thankful tree...we decided to start that tradition this year as well and it is so fun to see what everyone is thankful for.

    ReplyDelete