Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It pays to use a professional

We have lived in this house for almost a year. One of the things that has bugged us is that we had to use a wireless network for the computer. We were used to having the computer wired to the internet so it was pretty fast. The wireless network had issues connecting and was much slower. We lived with it for a while now and decided it was worth the hassle to wire everything up.
Dave and I are pretty good do-it-yourselfers usually. We looked at what the job would entail and decided to call a professional. I did a little google search and found an electrician that had good ratings. He came out and told me he would have to cut two holes in the drywall for each location I wanted to put an ethernet jack. That was so he could pull the wires in the walls. I could do that and pay to have someone come patch things afterward or else pull wires on the outside of the house to each location. I wanted it done inside the walls. He couldn't pin down an exact quote because he gets paid hourly, not by the job. The estimated cost was going to be pretty high.
So then, I called the Wire Guys. They came out to see what the job would entail. They gave me a quote and said they would not have to cut any holes in the drywall except where they would put the jacks. Pefect. Just what I wanted. They estimated less than half of what the other electrician estimated for me. They told me it would take about 6-7 hours. They came today and finished the job in about 4 hours.
The wire guys pulled ethernet wires from the basement to the main level and up to two rooms on the upper level. They also fixed two coaxial cable lines that were installed incorrectly by someone else's DIY project. So now we are back up to a fast speed and no waiting for the wireless network to connect.
We have a few more projects in mind. This one was one that if we had tried to do ourselves, we would have spent the amount we paid a professional for the tools we needed to do the job and it would have been ugly.
So, if you are in need of a professional to add wiring to your house, I would recommend the Wire Guys.
http://www.wireguys.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment