Monday, October 10, 2011

General Conference ROCKS!

General Conference is the BEST.  We have a family tradition that once a kid is baptized, we take them to the next General Conference.  Macey had her first opportunity to attend for the October conference.  We got 4 tickets for the Saturday afternoon session so Kyle, Dave, and I could all go with her.  The tickets say on them to not take pictures or video, so we left our cameras in the car.  Once we got there, we saw lots of people snapping pictures of themselves and I wished I had brought a camera with me.  Our cell phones weren't working out because the lighting was not great.
We had a great experience.  Macey seemed a little bothered by the people outside the conference center that held up anti-Mormon signs and yelled out to people as we walked by that we were damned to hell.  We tried to explain to Macey that these people didn't understand that we are Christians and they think we worship the wrong way.  Just because they don't like us doesn't mean we should hate them.  Also, if we know someone else that we think worships the wrong way, it is absolutely WRONG to treat them the way we were being treated.  Once we got inside, the Spirit was strong and it was a great day.  The talks were fantastic.  We always feel so uplifted and empowered when we listen to conference.  One of my favorite talks was about time management.  It made an impact on me and I am trying to put the most important things first.

  http://lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/a-time-to-prepare?lang=eng

We left Becca and Hailey with Grandma and Grandpa in Pocatello.  We took the time to drive by our old house and felt a little sad that we are so far from our friends.  As we drove away, we saw my old boss and his wife going for a walk.  We stopped and talked to them.  It was great to see them again.  I told them I was still not employed and they said, "Come back!  We'll take you.  They just don't know how awesome you are."  That made me feel good.  I said, "But now you have hired others to replace me, so that wouldn't work."  Then Ruby said, "We would make room for you for sure."   It was all in jest because we are NOT moving back, but I am certain they really would do whatever they could to bring me back.  I just miss that.  I wish I could find another dental office where they appreciate me that much. 

It was nice to see Dave's parents and Julie's kids again.  While in Salt Lake, we stopped by to see Sarah who was in the hospital.  She was feeling terrible but tried to keep a positive attitude.  I feel for Steve and Julie.  I can't imagine having to go through so much and feel so helpless.  Sarah is home now and they are watching her symptoms carefully.  We hope she won't have to spend any more time in the hospital. 

Lastly, we had a little more excitement last week.  I was at the church for a meeting and we had sent the kids to bed.  Kyle got up and tried to get himself a snack.  He got an apple out and cut it in half.  In the process, he cut his hand and ended up in the emergency room for stitches.  Dave took him while I was still at the church.  I suppose it is a good thing I never saw the initial wound.  I don't think I would have handled that well.  Kyle is on the mend now and has learned something about knife safety. 

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit seeing conference in person is AMAZING . I was able to attend the very first session in the conference Center and it was amazing. I also love your family tradition that is GREAT.

    Okay the stitches DO NOT look like much fun at all and I hope he gets feeling better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete