Friday, November 4, 2011

Do I have "Sucker" written on my forehead?

I am so annoyed about a couple of things.  About 3 years ago, we bought new tires for my Suburban and it cost about $900.  We have only put about 30,000 miles on the tires. They are bald now.  We thought they would have lasted at least 50,000 miles.  Anyway, we took the car in to see about getting new ones and we hoped they would give us at least a break on the new ones since the last ones didn't hold up well.  It turns out the tire place that sold us the tires gave us "racing" tires that are not meant for a large vehicle like a Suburban.  They are meant to grip the road and are made of a softer rubber.  No wonder they wore out so fast!  They weren't under a warranty so we just had to fork out another $900 for new ones.  So why did they sell us the wrong tires?  That's what I'd like to know!  I just trusted what they recommended for us. 

Another duped story:.  I was told by a hearing aid store that I had significant hearing loss in both ears.  I was given a quote for hearing aids.  I shopped around and got another test from another hearing aid store.  They both agreed I needed a hearing aid in my right ear, but the second store said my left was ok.  I paid $2000 for a digital high tech hearing aid for my right ear.  I wore it and noticed the background noises were loud and clear.  It seemed like someone turned on the microphone in that ear.  I was also told that if I wore that hearing aid, it would protect me from further hearing loss.  I believed them. 

Becca failed her hearing screening at school in one ear.  They retested her and she failed again.  I took her into the doctor to get her ears cleaned out because they said she could have failed based on ear wax buildup.  The doctor cleaned her out and then she was retested.  Still failed in one ear.  I then took her to the district audiologist who did an audiogram to see what kind of loss she had.  They said it was a conductive hearing loss, which is unusual for children.  I have been told that I have a nerve loss caused by nerve damage.  I explained my hearing situation to the audiologist who then tested me to make sure it was a different kind of loss, thinking there could be a hereditary link.  After he tested me, he said that I did not need a hearing aid.  I do have some loss in higher frequencies but it is not necessary to have a hearing aid.  I asked him about wearing it to prevent further loss and he said he doesn't believe that based on the studies he has read.  I then asked him if I had been duped into spending $2000 for a hearing aid that I don't need.  He said yes.  I should have had a test done by someone not selling hearing aids.

(As a side note, I followed up with Becca at the ENT and she said that she wasn't worried about Becca.  Her canals are narrow and that could be what is causing the loss.  She is doing well in school and doesn't have a difficult time hearing day to day so we are just watching it.)

I am not an expert in everything so I trust those who are.  I understand that there are differing philosophies out there about anything under the sun.  I just hate feeling like I got ripped off when I put my trust in the person that is supposed to be the expert.  Buyer beware....

No comments:

Post a Comment